High oil pressure/oil leak in multifuel engine

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Sun May 20 2001 - 09:58:38 PDT

Hi, folks. My "new" 1965 M543A2 5-ton wrecker is acting up a bit, and
I thought I'd see if anybody on the list was familiar with its
symptoms before I started digging in to it. My truck has a Continental
LDS-465-1A multifuel engine. It has a 60 PSI oil pressure gauge. I
have not yet checked the gauge and sender part numbers to verify that
they're matched (i.e., that it doesn't have a 120 PSI sender).

A few seconds after I start my truck, the oil pressure gauge rapidly
climbs up to 60 PSI (it might even hit the mechanical stop). It stays
there for a while (many minutes). Later, it will drop down to around
50 PSI or so. There's a crankcase oil leak somewhere on the right side
of the engine, possibly higher than the oil pan gasket (I haven't
pinpointed it yet), that blows a lot of oil down onto the ground. The
oil does not appear to come from the crankcase breather tube. I do not
yet know if the two symptoms are related (i.e., if the pressure builds
up until something gives and blows out a bunch of oil, allowing the
pressure to drop). My engine exhaust also appears a lot smokier at
idle than my deuce's LDT-456-1C's exhaust. I tried looking through the
troubleshooting charts in those wonderful [gag!] 1970's TMs, but I
only found "low oil pressure" in the symptom charts, not "high oil
pressure". I just got the truck, and I have not changed the oil or
filters yet.

Does anybody happen to recognize these symptoms?

Can anybody tell me what part of the lubricating system the oil
pressure sender monitors? In other words, is it before or after the
oil filters in the lubricating system loop, etc.? My 465-series manual
has some nice diagrams describing the lubricating system, but if it
says which part of the loop the oil pressure sender monitors, I could
not find it.

Thanks in advance for any information or advice!

P.S.: The ironic part is that my wrecker is just the right tool for
pulling out a big multifuel engine for major repairs, yet out of all
of my trucks, its engine is the one with the most disturbing
symptoms... :-/

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/