M35A2 Drive Train Noise Detected and Fixed...

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Sat Nov 17 2001 - 23:57:21 PST

Hi List...

Several months ago I posted messages about how to change out a
transmission in my M35A2 because it was making a lot of noise.

My truck has had a noisy, growly drive train ever since I got it.

Well, yesterday I found the problem.

I was under the M35A2 checking the transmission and transfer case oil
levels before my camping trip and noticed that the bolts on the short
shaft that connects the transmission and transfer case were all loose!
All 8 of the bolts had their nuts still on, but they were totally
loose and flopping around! I checked the threads and they looked OK,
so I tightened the nuts onto the bolts as tight as I could with a pair
of long 3/4" spanners.

My truck as NEVER been so quiet! I can't even hear the drive train
anymore when I drive...just the exhaust.

Tomorrow I'll hop under the truck and check the bolts again to be sure
there's no need to replace them. I may replace them anyway and put
some Locktite on them.

--

Jim "Ike" Newton

o 1984 M1007 CUCV Military Suburban 6.2 Liter Turbo-Diesel Engine 5/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD

o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half" 478 Cubic Inch Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine Air Shift Front Axle 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD

See them at: http://www.CUCV.net