Re: [MV] state licensing of Mil Vehicles

From: Neil E. Amrhein (neil@compu-powr.com)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 04:28:42 PST

Steven,
    If you want to use it as a daily driver, you just need for it to pass
the Maryland State Vehicle Inspection that any other car would have to pass
to be registered in the state with regular license plates. Historic plates
require no inspection certification. I guess it is assumed that the owner of
an historic vehicle will maintain that vehicle and keep it safe. Here is the
exact wording on historic plates from the MVA:

    "Vehicles classified as historic or street rod certify the vehicle will
be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours,
occasional transportation and similar uses. The vehicle owner further
certifies the vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation or
primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways...."

    That "occasional transportation" clause is what makes historic plates
perfect. That means you can drive it to work if you want, just not everyday.
The only way you would get busted is if the same officer sees you driving
the car every day and decides to hassle you about it. I drive my M35A2
whenever I want, without worrying about getting hassled (except for not
having the front tag mounted...oops). The only time you need to worry is if
you get an historic insurance policy that limits your mileage. Of course,
they would actually need to check the mileage to bust you.....

    I will assume that you have a title for the vehicle. Getting
registration without a title in Maryland is pretty much impossible.

    --Neil

1971 M35A2, Turbo, W/W