Dunkirk Blankets

From: Nigel Hay - MILWEB (Nigel@milweb.net)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 15:39:17 PST

I just spent an hour talking to the widow, an octegenarian, of a British
officer who was evacuated at Dunkirk in May 1940. He had evaded capture near
Arras and walked the 60 plus miles to Dunkirk. She asked me if i knew what a
Dunkirk blanket was? I didnt - it turns out these blankets were ( and they
were in short supply) given out on the rescue ships to a few of the very
grateful survivors. So grateful in fact her late husband kept his blanket
throughout the war and when he died left it to his grandson ( a currently
serving major )
Most of the blankets had been donated to the "Little Ships" by the people of
Dover and Kent, many of whom could ill afford to give their own bedding away
as they faced such an uncertain future.

Her husband later landed on Sword Beach on D Day, carrying his Dunkirk
Blanket in his back pack.

Just a nice anecdote as we approach Remembrance Sunday.

Nige