Re: Military Rebuilding of Vehicles - Honduras trip.

From: aussierob (aussierob@odyssey.net)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 23:15:25 PST

Just my 2 cents worth.
In the early 70's I was employed for a time as a civilian auto electrician
for the Australian Army.

There were acres and acres and acres of US Army vehicles all sizes and
manner of trucks. No US jeeps at that time. Just big trucks. the dates on
these vehicles were all from early WW 2 I can't even remember what the
models were. At the time I had absolutely no interest in US Army trucks.
However alll the rubber gasket around the widow glass had dried up. All the
old Cotten covered sulphur based rubber insulation on all wireing had
deteriorated badly.

We would rewire these trucks, one wire at a time. It was a great thrill to
lug a large battery cart and gasoline out to the fields to find each
particular truck. Then, we'd pour gas into the throat and jump start these
old girls. Some had to be towed. But, most would drive. I don't know why at
this point, but we never had gas / varnish problems that I can remember.

These trucks were lined up as far as the eye could see... although, they had
not actually sat in these rows after row since WW2 Many however, had been
there a few years.
After we were done, they be taken back out and parked once again

We also refurbished a number of Australian Army Jeeps from Vietnam. Every
nook and cranny revealed large deposits of fine silt like, reddish brown
dust. For some very vague reason, I seem to remember that these were all
Land Rovers.

It's been a few years now, so much of the details are gone... who knows
where.

This coming week I'm off to a new adventure filming/videotaping in Honduras.
This is my second trip to the middle of nowhere. I don't even speak effing
Spanish . But I do have one of those multi language calculator/translators.

My luck the "effing" batteries will be dead just when I'm trying to explain
that I'm "not" an American !

Today I put all my equipment into a Cargo container, in the Philadelphia
area. Then drove back upto Syracuse, my home base. The container is driven
to Miami, arriving sometime tomorrow...

I wilI unload my equipment in San Pedro Sula on Wednesday afternoon or
Thursday morning, next week. Then move inland a few hours until reaching my
specific location.

So, if you don't hear from Aussie Rob in the future, It's probably because
I've been hacked to pieces by some crazed religious sect, and my many
"parts" have been scattered by some wild animal.
Just kidding !
I hope !
Bye for now!

So, if any of you radio guys here the crackle of a voice that sounds like a
lost hungry Aussie... then God help me, I'll be saved.
El Roberto,
Soon to be hiding out somewhere between here and the Amazon