Re: [MV] A million and one (well, almost) questions

From: Paul A. Thomas (bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Wed Jan 01 2003 - 19:15:24 PST

Hi & Welcome Doug:

        I haven't heard a rule of thumb for armor ownership, but have repeatedly
for sail boats: with the boats plan on spending 20% of the value of the
ship yearly on berthing and maintenance. I'll take a wild stab and say
your costs with armor will be a bit higher.
        The links below are what I found on my 'favorites' column when I
looked. Half are dealers, half are just crazy and own / rebuild them. Be
wary of the prices you see in many ( not all ) of the dealers listing...
IMSHO these prices are like pricing at a fancy antique shoppe: if someone
is willing to pay that then why not? If you are willing to do a lot of
manual labor and searching for parts you can get a vehicle for very little
( in comparison ), but you will have to work it to get it into shape.
        I can speak to insurance a bit as I still haven't found someone to write
my deuce as a historic vehicle. Every state is different, and insurance
from the same companies is applied differently in each state. If you plan
to use the vehicle for daily driving you will need to register it (
assuming it isn't in NJ already ). Many DMV personnel have difficulty
dealing with the unusual. I would suggest waiting until you choose your
vehicle(s) then ask for specific advice from listers here. For example, if
you have a shoppe van here in California and mount a stove inside you can
claim it is an RV and register it as such. ( might need a port-a-pottie
too, can't recall <g> ) On insurance if it is a daily driver then you
just insure it. However if it is a 'historic vehicle' then you may qualify
for specialty coverage. These policies run under $100 a year, provide
decent limits for liability, collision etc. However you are limited to
driving the vehicle for parades, rallies and occasional maintenance. And (
this is what killed it for me ) the vehicle MUST be garaged.
        As to archives, there are many of them at mil-veh.org. They just aren't
really searchable. Google has been a mainstay for those searching for OD
things, tho I heard a rumor that Alta Vista is almost as good now.
        Lots of luck. Welcome to the center for incurable optimists.

                Paul
                '53 REO M35 Fire Conversion
                53 AEC Chevy 3/4 Ton

http://www.joeyoung.com/main.html