Re: [MV] tank questions

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 11:00:23 PST

At 9:52 AM -0500 1/20/03, ddoyle9570@aol.com wrote:

>The previously mentioned M8 Howitzer was not in fact a M3 chassis
>with different turret. While sharing many components with the M3,
>the hull was different. The crew entered and exited through the
>open top turret, there were no hatches in the hull for the driver
>and assistant driver.

M5, not the M3. But looking closely, I do see that the
Driver/Co-Driver's hatches are pushed forwards and were likely only
good for looking through. The way the mantlet on the turret projects
forwards would have meant that standard hatches up top would have
been useless. Everything else appears similar or the same with the M5
chassis (engine, transmission, running gear, hull form, etc)

I guess the question is where do you call it not the same chassis
when you make X amount of changes to it.

>Despite the terminology often used by the media, off the top of my
>head I cannot think of any Self Propelled Guns used today by the
>U.S. Army, they are all Self Propelled Howitzers. I believe this
>have been the case since the M42 Duster Self Propelled Gun was
>phased out. Of course, in an earlier era the M42 would have been
>considered a Multiple Gun Motor Carriage.

As bare bones as we've become, we're using only 105 and 155 Howitzers
now for tube artillery. We may have some 203mm out there but the
175mm gun (on the M107) is now out of service. Frankly we probably
ought to be getting back into the Gun business given how the South
African G6 is getting such a long reach. If that alone proliferates,
we'll start having more issues. We can't always expect to have the
massive buildup of air support before the lead starts flying.

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/2)