Re: [MV] England, United Kingdom or Great Britain

From: Ryan M Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 07:13:09 PST

At 7:42 AM -0500 1/21/03, Bjorn Brandstedt wrote:
>Perhaps, one of our overseas friends can give an official
>explanation to the proper name of England.

Depends on what you're talking about. Its sort of like Tire, Chassis, Car.

Well, its the United Kingdom because the UK is made up of several
kingdoms united under a common government/monarch. Scotland and
England being the most significant (I can't recall if Wales is it's
own kingdom or not). It used to be that they had separate monarchs
but, with the succession of the Stuarts (James VI of Scotland - known
as James I in England) to the English throne (Elizabeth died with no
children) in 1603 the nations were united under one monarch. Then,
after James II was driven out of England in 1688 (and Scotland) and
the Queen Anne took over until 1714. England and Scotland were joined
under the Acto of Union (Making the United Kingdom). The interesting
thing is that the next Monarch was in fact a German, not a Brition.
The elector of Hanover became George I. Great Britain encompasses the
United Kingdom, Ireland, Wales and Man if I understand things
correctly.

This should be a passably correct summation for an American or
someone not really into the intricacies of the British Monarchys and
governments, please don't flame me if I get something slightly wrong.

--
--
- Ryan Montieth Gill                         '01 Honda Insight -