Re: [MV] Vinegar and rust

From: John Seidts (jseidts@astory.com)
Date: Mon Mar 17 2003 - 04:56:53 PST

Another soaking agent is 1:10 molasses in water. The molasses releases
phosphoric acid, which is used in several industrial processes for etching
and de-oxidation of metals. Let it sit for 2-6 weeks, and NO rust will be
present on the surfaces, some of it will be converted to Iron Phosphate
(like parkerizing) and a good bit of the bolts and screws will be loosened
enough to remove. Caution in using with Aluminum or magnesium castings-
phosphoric acid dissolves them.