Re: [MV] M101A1 alternative rims and tires -solution so far

From: David Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Sun Apr 20 2003 - 22:07:16 PDT

The cost to do split rims seems to vary tremendously across the country.

I live in the sticks and I took my 5 ton 11x20 tire that had a branch punch
a hole through it to the nearby tire shop. I left it to be repaired. The
total repair cost was $23. They had to patch the tube, boot the tire, and
remount everything.

These guys work on those giant 7 foot tractor tires, so they thought the
tiny 11x20 was a small job, unlike the city slicker tire shops that get
bent out of shape over a 16 inch truck tire.

Regarding the split rims being dangerous, I think they are only dangerous
if not properly installed or if the are severely corroded.

So I guess the lesson is it depends on where you have the work done.

Dave