Re: [MV] 6volts from 12 or 12v from 24 volts

From: David Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 12:07:56 PDT

I'm not sure if the gear you have is grounded, such as negative ground.
But if it was floating and not grounded to the chassis, it would be
possible to get a couple lawn tractor batteries ($16 each as Sam's Club)
and a couple heavy two pole relays and simply switch the batteries in and
out of your vehicle charging system one at a time. Put both of the
batteries in series and you have the 24-28vdc you are looking for. You
should be able to easily get 10-20 amps worth of DC that way depending on
how stout the charging system is on your vehicle. You would have to come
up with the relay controller. But a small oscillator made out of some 555s
driving a small relay should work fine. Even easier would be a small
industrial controller like a Siemens Logo. I think if you switched the
batteries into and out of the charging circuit every 10 minutes, everything
would work fine. Make sure you dwell between pulling in each relay, or
else a short circuit could occur. Fuses are recommended.

Dave

--
Dave