Re: [MV] Can anyone ID this vehicle?

From: Mr. Bones (mrbones@ixks.com)
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 19:18:18 PDT

> J. Wiehe wrote:
> > But for sure if you were to get one it would be very, very
> > costly to maintain this vehicle. ( if the wife found out )
> >
> > Kinda like Mark's money pit.
>
> I have a HMMWV; I can't afford a wife! :-/

Thanks for resending the link; it is always a pleasure to view unique / rare
MVs for me. The following are only my observations, which are not baseless,
being registered with the National Archives as a researcher:

1> These MVs were manufactured in very limited quantities as a stop-gap
measure, and were in extremely short demand in all theaters during WWII, and
arrived too late on the scene to turn the tide of the war.

2> Although I have not seen this particular MV in person, it would appear to
my not-unexperienced mechanic's eyes to be of a twin overhead cam design.
Obviously quite an engineering coup-de-tat. One can only imagine the torque
produced. Only design flaw that I can perceive is the lack of a dimmer
switch to bring the rather-overkill headlights down to low beam.

3> As with many / most European MVs, or civvy vehicles (and many similar
domestic-produced ones), this model appears to operate neither on gasoline,
nor diesel, but strictly on cash currency. This is based on having several
Norton, Triumph, and BSA motorcycles over the decades. It also appears to
have Lucas electrics, never a good thing unless you can see in the infrared
spectrum.

4> The upkeep on this model must be *phenomenal*!!! We have seen no parts
for these whatsoever at any of the MV meets we have been to, nor online so
far. Guess I better keep looking with more dilligence than ever, eh?

5>I have no wife, but an '86 CUCV with about 8K invested over 2 yrs time,
but I get the distinct impression from looking at the sleek lines and
complicated construction of the MV in question that this would be an
*extremely* high-maintenance vehicle, fully capable of absorbing any excess
cash flow from the time of purchase until one finally found another investor
to take it off of one's hands. Actually makes the term "Cheap HUMMV" very
viable, IMCO.

6>The particular MV depicted in the photos is *quite* likely to have frame
damage etc. which the seller failed to mention, since it is obvious from the
photographs given that both airbags are fully deployed, indicating at least
an involvement in a rather severe accident.