Re: [MV] GL-auction: Anyone know what they pay for the stuff they auction off? Here's one clue...

From: MVTrucker@aol.com
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 04:52:47 PST

Steve,
Look at your 97's again and take note that the buyer from the government is GL, not you. These are the prices GL paid to the government. It is my understanding that the government gets 80% of the sale price when an item is auctioned. This probably is a reason for the 10% buyer's fee.

As to the sales tax they collect. I have complained to GL because I do not think it's legal to charge me sales tax on a truck merely PARKED in a state and never titled by the state. The states do not know the trucks are in their state. I got an e-mail from GL explaining that they are right in collecting the tax and they are watched very closely and frequently audited. Any sales tax collected sould be by the state that titles a truck. When I got some Arizona Titles from GL, any tax due should have been to AZ, but I've been told that AZ does not have a sales tax on vehicles. I was still charged tax at the rate of whatever state the truck was parked in, in my case MD and PA. I have a NJ Reseller's Sales Tax Exemption Certificate, so I am not charged NJ Sales Tax by GL. I pay when I title the trucks in NJ.
Joe Young