Re: [MV] neato anti-theft device

From: ke6myk@sbcglobal.net
Date: Mon Mar 08 2004 - 12:27:15 PST

"Larry Tighe" <larryradio@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> OK, after hearing the horror stories, I think I should put a kill switch on
> the HMMWV. Did you interrupt the 24 VDC to the "RUN/START" switch? Or did
> you tie into some other circuit?

There are a few good places to interrupt things. As you mentioned, you
could interrupt the supply to the run/start switch. You can also
disconnect the battery (possibly with a keyed disconnect switch in a
location where it's inconvenient to get at the wiring on its back
side), interrupt the fuel cutoff solenoid circuit, or interrupt the
neutral start switch circuit.

There are also devices like the Denver Boot that can be placed on a
wheel to immobilize the vehicle. For example:

    http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/greentruck/truck2/mods.html#security

Using some sort of tire lock that also covers the lug nuts would
probably be the most secure way to lock up the truck, in my opinion.
Any of the electrical ways of disabling the vehicle would slow down
somebody who's not familiar with the vehicle, but could be easily
bypassed by somebody who knows their MVs. These trucks are pretty
simple compared to civvy cars, and a lot of them don't even need a
functioning electrical system to keep running once they're started.
Once they're running, a deuce only needs power for the in-tank fuel
pump, a HMMWV just needs it for the fuel cutoff solenoid (well, at
least the older ones with the Hydramatic 400 trannys), and a Gama Goat
can run all day without electrical power.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <ke6myk@sbcglobal.net>
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/