Re: [MV] Tank insurance

From: Stuart & Jane Robinson (stalwart@nwlink.com)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 15:42:17 PDT

On May 4, 2004, at 2:57 PM, Herr Bookmonger wrote:

> as a rule tanks are essentially off road vehicles in much the same
> manner as a show car or truck.

Since WWII, almost all tracked vehicles, both here and abroad, were
designed to operate on the road, hence the rubber pads and lighting. I
realize that in some places operating them on the public roads may be
illegal or debatable but here in Washington State there is no law
against it if certain conditions are met. You still need insurance,
appropriate license for the weight of the vehicle, rubber pads to
protect the street, required lighting, over-width permits for wider
vehicles, etc. but as long as you obey the traffic rules you should
have little problem of your state has similar laws. I have had one
overzealous officer try to cop an attitude but when presented with the
facts (and the law) he he rather sheepishly backed down from his
previous belligerent attitude. The VAST majority of the local law
enforcement officers just wave and smile!

> They have no need for automotive insurance
> because they are not operated on road.

I ONLY operate my tank on the road, it cuts down on the wear on the
road-wheels, track bushings and sprockets at the expense of the track
pads. OK, I occasionally run it around on dry grass . . .

I just don't make an issue out of it with my insurance company, they
know the year, make, model, appraised value and have pictures on file.
I DID NOT ask if they insure tanks, I simply added it to my policy and
provided all the information they required, INCLUDING pictures with the
tracks FULLY visible.

Stuart and Jane Robinson
Alvis Scorpion CVR(T)
Fox CVR(W)