Mutt transmission problems - help!

From: Glen Closson (glen@closson.com)
Date: Sun May 09 2004 - 17:51:56 PDT

Hello List!
When I bought my A2 Mutt many years ago it would grind when shifted into 3rd
gear.

I had the transmission rebuilt by my neighbor who was also a professional
Mechanic and that "seemed" to solve the problem for quite awhile. Then the
problem came back but only when warm. That is, when first starting out, it
was fine, but after a couple of minutes, the problem came back.

Early in the game I learned to double-clutch and that works fine when going
from 2nd to 3rd, but it grinds terribly when going from 4th to 3rd. No
amount of double-clutching seems to help.

The Jeep is not a daily driver so there really hasn't been all that many
miles since the rebuild and now.

Is this a common problem? What would be the best solution to fix it?
Replace the tranny with a rebuilt one? From who?

Thanks!

Glen