Weight of an M35a2 bed? And general road driven deuce questions

From: Robert Ternes (racecadet@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 16:33:08 PDT

Hi Folks,

I just bought my (first?) M35a2 a few weeks back, and
I'm already planning some mods for it. I have been
active a little on the Steel soldiers site, and they
have been helpful, but I'm looking for someone who has
been aggressive in modifying their deuce, and I was
wondering if you folks could help out. I've searched
the website extensively, but haven't really found the
info I need.

My goal is to turn my deuce into a long range Car
Hauler for an offroad project (incidentally also using
deuce Rockwell axles!), and I am looking for some
info:

1. Weight of a standard M35 bed, non dropside. I would
guess this weighs more than a standard JerrDann
aluminum bed. :) I am thinking of fabbing up a
"catamaran" style bed, open center, that I can drive a
vehicle onto.

2. Any writeups on turning up the fuel screw, upping
the boost or otherwise getting some more top end
ponies out of a Herc multifuel? I have no intentions
on burning pistons or exhaust, so any mods I do are
going to be coupled with boost, pyro, and tranny temp
gauges.

3. Has anyone done any "advanced" axle swaps (like
doing single rear axle) or modifications to fit very
large tires on a deuce to extend its MPH range into
the low 70's? Another idea is to swap a tranny with a
higher range into it - I guess these use the SAE nš2
bellhousing, which hopefully also denotes a standard
splining and flexplate? I want to keep the double
reduction axles and high axleshafts - I've turned
enough driveshafts into pretzels to not appreciate
those.

I'm enchanted with the deuce, and I love its offroad
prowess and overall feel. I love driving this thing,
but I have a vision of it being more roadworthy in
general. I'm also stoked to have a mild recovery
vehicle, capable of getting far into trails to get
either my Jeep or my Chevy projects, and if the idea
of high speed carhauler is a bust, I'll still cherish
this thing as the ultimate cool pickup. I drove this
thing back from Detroit for 36 nearly straight hours,
and I loved every minute of it. :)

Any insight is appreciated.

Cheers
Bob in Boulder CO (total gearhead)