RE: [MV] CAN ANY BODY HELP ?

From: Mil-Veh List (mil-veh@ziptar.com)
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 08:52:17 PDT

If you didn't send then it was sent by a virus. That doesn't mean you have
a virus. It could be that someone else with your address in their address
book is infected and when the virus kicks off it tries to email itself to
everyone in the address book. The From line of the email is spoofed, with
email addresses in the address book of the infected machine. What you are
seeing is the reject message from the mail server because that address is no
longer valid. The reason you see it is the mail server is sending the
notification to the address of the sender which may be spoofed by the virus.

The W32.Netsky.P@mm worm
(http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.netsky.p@mm.htm
l) is popping up in emails that are sent to me with a zip file attached a
couple of times a day as of late. Norton Kills them as they arrive and
alerts me. I would bet that's what causing you to see these.

If you a good AV program that checks emails as they come in and the
definitions are up to date you should be fine. The emails you are getting
are getting sent from an infected machine somewhere else using your address.

Norton has a removal tool that you can download, just to be safe you might
want to run that and make sure you machine is OK.
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.netsky@mm.remova
l.tool.html