Re: [MV] CUCV Conversions

From: Brian Placzankis (plaz@mac.com)
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 18:34:22 PDT

Now this is what I call a great thread!

Thanks to everyone for the great information. I especially like
ANYTHING about swapping in a TH700R4.

While we're on this subject, my M1008 is in need of a new bed. The
driver side is crushed in to the point where the fuel door won't close
completely. (DRMO or GL forklift victim) The bed floor is crushed
downward to where it is bowing/bulging downward between the cross
members and there is also heavy rust in these areas. The front panel
is bowing towards the cab and may possibly even rub when I go over big
bumps. My passenger side is OK for the most part.

A local boneyard has a standard 8ft bed Scottsdale from about 1983 or
1984. There is no apparent rust on the outside except for the
passenger side where it is dented in badly on the outside panel. The
bed floor looks intact with no dents or bowing. Although the paint is
scraped off in a lot of places, there is no rust, only silver metal
that I assume is the galvanizing doing its job. The junkyard guy said
he would sell me the entire bed for $200 and would even do the removing
for me. (not an easy job when carriage bolts are rusted)

Other than paint, is there any difference between the M1008 bed and a
civilian model? (ie. is the sheet metal thicker?)

I canvassed a bunch of the other local salvage yards, most of them were
full of Fords F150's only from the same time period but the of ones
that did have Chevys none were as low as $200 or were in good enough
shape.

There are also some places online that sell beds but I'm not sure if
there are repro and what their quality is.

http://www.pickup-parts.net/chevy-gmc-truck-beds.html

JC Whitney's bed floors don't even come in one piece they are just more
or less repair panels.

So if I buy this bed, how easy is it to unbolt a bed into its component
panels? Are there any spot welds to contend with?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has info on this.

plaz

1985 M1008