Re: [MV] m35a2 emergency brake problem

From: Mark J. Blair, NF6X (nf6x@nf6x.net)
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 19:42:39 PDT

Sonny Heath wrote:
> I have never had any trouble with the parking brake on a deucenahalf but I
> sure am having a lot of trouble getting it right on my Humvee. I've got it
> to where it holds good but it makes a hellava racket when driving down the
> road. If I pull back on the handle until the red light comes on while
> driving it gets quieter so I know something isn't right.

Do you have the old kind with a single parking brake disc at the input
to the rear diff, or the new kind where both of the rear service brakes
are applied by cams?

My truck has the old kind. It didn't hold well or work operate smoothly
when I first got the truck. It made a world of difference when I
disassembled the brake mechanism, cleaned the parts, lubricated the cam
and actuator pins with high-temp brake grease, and then readjusted the
parking brake system by the book. It's important to adjust the system by
the book; most of the adjustment is done at the parking brake caliper,
and the knob on the end of the handle is just for taking up slack from
minor wear.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x@nf6x.net>
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/nf6x/