Re: Military wrecker on Ebay

From: Dan Maguire (dmaguire@mchsi.com)
Date: Sat Jan 07 2006 - 19:11:10 PST

Hi all,

Based on a few responses directly to me, I should have been more clear
about the $3000 wrecker thing...

For years I have been keeping an eye on military wreckers on Ebay. Not
looking to buy, just interested - I have an M62 w/r6602 already. In
that time, I have seen the bidding for what I believe to be the majority
stall at around $3K. They haven't hit the reserves - so probably no
deal - but that is as far as they got. That's why the abused one w/ bad
description and negative feedback at $5000+ seems so odd.

This may be interesting... I tell people that I got mine *through* Ebay.
  I saw the listing - but didn't actually didn't even bid on it thinking
it would go way too high for me. Checked on it a week after the auction
ended and saw that it went for not much more than an avg. deuce.
Emailed the seller saying "if you have any problems with the deal..."
Got a response 30 min. later that the deal had already fallen through
(person probably found out the gas mileage). It was 150mi away - drove
to see it w/ my father and an ex-wrecker owner friend. It died during
the demo and they couldn't get it started again (points). We settled at
even less with delivery included. Everyone was happy.

You can see it during it's arrival (and looking very un-green) at...
http://dmaguire.home.mchsi.com/low_001.jpg

Also, someone else accurately pointed out that it isn't that Ebay is
weird - the bidders are. Point taken!

Cheers,
Dan
Auburn, IN