Why are ships and boats called "her" ?

From: Everette (194cbteng@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sun Jan 08 2006 - 22:28:12 PST

Somewhere in my memory (which is sometimes faulty) I remember something
about designations of British ships in addition to HMS ( his or hers)
another designation if ships were carrying mail, any basis for this thought
that anyone know off - my apology in advance if some think that British war
ships are not MVs

Everette