RE: Google Indexing the List

From: G Shaw (milspectruck@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Jan 11 2006 - 12:09:40 PST

Just a FYI. Many members of this list save, and have saved for years, all
the posts for reasons up to them. In addition several members of the list
have as most Gmail users do out in the general population, archived ALL
their mail folders over to Gmail to take advantage of various search aspects
of Gmail. The MV list mail that has now been archived by Google far away
predates the creation of Gmail.

There is only one thing unique here from other MV forums. The G503 has all
its posts for anyone to read on their web pages. Any Yahoo group can be
read by just joining the group. We all know that any post once made is out
there forever for anyone to see. The difference here is that Google is a
megacorporation which is specifically making a ton of money by the
acquisition of information and the susequent indexing and searching of this
info for purposes of advertising. Gmail is not free. They allow you to use
there services in exchange for your agreement to allow them certain access
and use of your data. The big issue is that most of the list members here
do not know that anything posted here to this list is on the Google search
page, by keyword etc within a short time of the post.

This is not a Black Helicopter post, just an FYI that whatever you post on
this list is not just going to the list but the entire internet and it is
easily searchable right up on the Google home page. Once Google has the
post it is held by them forever for their use. There is no way to stop this
Gmail thing. You just have to be aware of the public nature of the MV list
posts, or any email for that matter that finds its way into Gmail.

Hope that helps anyone that was not already aware of this.

Glenn