Re: BAR

From: Ed (mojoedd@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sun Jan 29 2006 - 20:58:37 PST

I toted an M-14, (went through Basic with it, LOVED IT), M-60, (LOVED it),
M-16, (without the forward assist, total JUNK), a .45 auto, (full time, both
tours, with LOTS of spare mags) and last but certainly not least a CAR 15,
(which was OK but I still think that the old M-14 is the best ever). No AP,
not all at the same time! :-) I even got to shoot and love very briefly, an
out of the box an "AS NEW" M-1D Sniper rifle that we found boxed in a
storeroom in An Khe!!!! It took about 30 minutes for the word to get to our
CO who decided that the rifle was intended for him and that he'd better take
it while he could. Damn Ossifers anyhow...:-) I told the guys that we
should wait to shoot it until we were away from prying eyes but, being just
a lowly SGT E-5 at the time, I didn't pull that much weight. I just hope
that the suck ass Butter Bar that ratted us out to the CO got his in the
mess hall one time!!

I saw ARVNs with M-1 Garands, (rifle was normally larger than the Trooper
carrying it), Thompson 45s, M-3 "Grease Guns", M1 & M2 Carbines, one or two
BARs and a Sundry list of bolt action rifles that I didn't get too close to!
There was a lot of inventory over there. It seemed that the US of A wanted
to dump the stores of all of the WWII and Korean stuff to free up space for
the Mattie Mattel plastic crappers......The ARVNs of course carried our
M-16s, .45s, M-79s, LAWs rockets, etc. as well as the older stuff. In fact
the CAR-15 was made for them. But that's another story, it's late, I'm old,
fat and bald so I'll stop wasting bandwidth..........

Military vehicle content, got to drive and shoot a really neat M151, (don't
know what it was other than the M-151, wasn't into collecting then and
didn't care as long as it drove)! The rascal had two 60s, one on the right
setup to shoot over the laid flat windshield and another on the standard
mount in the back. That was a lot of fun! I highly recommend that if you
ever get the chance!

Best Regards,

Ed

"Sirs, you have no reason to be ashamed of your Confederate dead; see
to it they have no reason to be ashamed of you"