Re: Vehicle radio help

From: Chance Wolf (bigbadwolf@telus.net)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2006 - 12:15:56 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew Walker" <Matthew.Walker@asu.edu>
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2006 9:01 AM
Subject: [MV] Vehicle radio help

> Hopefully this is on topic enough for everyone:)

> I have a bad RT 524 and am looking for someone who can look at it and
> hopefully fix it. It seems to power up and make noise but doesn't seem
> to transmit or receive. I figured someone on this list must know where
> I could send it to get fixed. Or better yet if one of you renowned
> experts were going to tower park I could have you look at it there.

If you turn it on and it 'makes noise' but won't squelch in any position,
chances are pretty good one of the circuit-breakers mounted to the backside
of the front panel has tripped, and won't reset itself when you go to
BREAKER RESET on the front panel because of some mechanical issue. You can
pop the covers off the radio and have a look at the back of the front panel
through all the wires and jazz, then work the BREAKER RESET switch and watch
what's going on with the two toggle switches it comes into contact with.
I'd bet one of those switches isn't clicking back on and staying there. If
you turn the switch again to the BREAKER RESET (Off) position, you can
carefully take a really long and thin blade-driver (or other suitable tool)
and reach down past the wires to reset the switch manually. Radio should
work after that.

One of those continued to pop for one our club members out here and we found
out that his MX-6707 was shorting out and thereby tripping the breaker in
the radio. Try the radio without the fat cable heading off to the AMU
hooked up and then see what happens. I've fixed a couple like that.