Re: Cummins NHC 250 / 855 CI diesel as in the M800 series of 5 tons

From: V SCHWARTZ (vsaws@optonline.net)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2006 - 16:16:50 PDT

I had a simular problem with my M816. It was hard to start and would stall
out right away. I got a lot of help from the guys on this list. What finaly
solved the problem which was air in the fuel system. First I disassembled
the switch for the dual tanks and cleaned the valve ( simple valve) Just
watch how you take it apart. PUT IT BACK JUST THE WAY YOU YOU FOUND IT. I
then replaced the rubber hoses that connect to the fuel lines. It still
sucked air and liked to drive me nuts. I finally put hose clamps on each end
of the hoses, and tourked them down real good. I have no problems since.
Starts right up every time. In the extreme cold, I use the preheater and
prime the intake , as per instructions for cold weather but I have not had
to use etherall winter. No soligizer on the batteries either. Vinny