Diesel Tachometer on a CUCV?

From: Nathan Wilkens (nathan.wilkens@asu.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 16 2003 - 21:23:27 PST

Esteemed Colleagues:

Has anyone used an aftermarket tachometer on a CUCV? Of all the guages I
wished I had, engine RPM would be the nicest 'other' thing to know, so I've
been thinking of getting an aftermarket tach. Since most tachs hook to the
ignition system (which doesn't exist for a diesel), the only diesel
alternatives I've seen involve wrapping a sensor around an alternator to
register the number of rotations (actually poles) on your alternator to
measure engine RPM. For example, AutoMeter has a model 2888 diesel
tachometer that I'm thinking of getting (but it requires a messy calibration
in a shop). If anyone has ever used one of these products (or has
recommendations) please let me know.

Thanks,
Nathan Wilkens
89 M1009 CUCV