Re: [MV] Chieftain vs. T-72

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Fri Jun 25 2004 - 09:57:42 PDT

I am a big fan of the T-72, but only because of its beautiful look! I've
been in one and all the criticisms of the ergonomics of the vehicle are
valid IMHO. Unless you are about 5'2" and slight of build, being inside
one of these things must have been horrible. I am 5'10" and could barely
fit in the commander's seat. Couldn't try out the driver's seat because
it was running at the time and a half our latter scattered all over the
firing range :-(

Ryan and Nigel already made good lists of +/- factors.

The other major negative of the T-72 is the autoloader. Notoriously
unreliable and potentially deadly for the crew. Another plus was its
fairly small size and very low profile. At least until JAVLIN and other
systems came out that don't give a flying fig about things like this.
Also, in a non-ambush situation the T-72 is a sitting duck for Abrams and
other modern Western tanks.

Cheers,

Steve