Re: Registering elsewhere

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 12 2006 - 10:11:55 PST

I just checked Ohio's license plate fees for commercial trailers (no
definition on size or weight) and it looks like they are a flat $39.00.

My one trailer (16,000 lb gooseneck) is almost $400 with county tax and
other surcharges in Indiana. A semi trailer in Indiana is about $40
also. Unless I license the gooseneck as a semi trailer in Indiana
(which seems like an attention getting move to me), I guess I will be
stopping at a BMV in Ohio. I have to go there anyway as I have a
sailboat that I need to register in Ohio. If they let me I will
register a couple of trailers there.

I'll let you know how that goes.

Truck plate fees are pretty much the same between Ohio and Indiana.
Michigan has a no-fault tax law that requires special insurance. So
they are out for my trucks. They do have a flat fee for permanent
plates on trailers - which is $300 for any trailer over 10,000 lbs. If
Ohio doesn't work out for the gooseneck I have, I will be visiting the
BMV in Michigan for that one at least.

Dave