Re: [MV] 5 Ton Axel sindel that is Cross Threded.

From: Claude W. Vaughn (vaughn@totalaccess.net)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 06:10:23 PST

Kevin,

Although I am not familiar with the 5-ton axles, I would guess you will have to get the wheel off before you can work on the threads.

 To do that you will need to buy an axle nut socket that will fit on a 3/4-drive impact wrench (larger parts stores, brake shops, or flea market)(the axle nut socket supplied with the vehicle, if you have one, is too lightly constructed to be
of much use in this situation). If you don't have 3/4-drive impact wrench and a large compressor, call for a fleet service truck from a major "truck tire" repair shop. Have them spin off the nut (they may even have the correct axle nut
socket). Purchase a "thread file" from a tool dealer, a good hardware store or a large auto parts store (the chain stores probably will not have them). I believe mine carries the "K-D" brand name. You will need to get a couple of new axle
nuts too (large brake and clutch shops). Use the thread file to restore the damaged threads. Try to remove as little metal as possible from the damaged threads. Time and patience.

I have done this once before many years ago. The previous vehicle owner had an outer wheel bearing come apart, allowing the axle to "bell" out the axle spindle as the wheel wobbled on the spindle.

His quote: "one of the rear brakes locks up from time-to-time."

Good time to clean, inspect, and repack the bearings too.

Claude.