Re: [MV] cracked armor

From: Ryan M Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 07:13:38 PST

At 7:32 AM -0600 4/1/03, Buck & Rami Sharp wrote:
>people are wondering yes it is half track armor i just didnt want to brake
>it or ruin it especially the price people think this stuff is worth. how is
>this metal made so that it is so brittle and hard? wish some of you guys

Its the hardness factor of armor that makes it armor rather than
being normal mild steel. It can be face hardened which has to do with
heat treating the face of the armor or it can be homogenous which has
to do with heat treating the entire armored piece (be it a casting or
a plate).

To weld up armor plate, especially face hardened, you have to use
some very precise technique and post welding heat treating.

--
--
- Ryan Montieth Gill                         '01 Honda Insight -